History of our Routmaster Busses
Our Routemaster RML 2549 was registered and started it’s service in 1966. It initially serviced the Aldenham Route, after two months of service it then moved onto the Hackney route where it remained for the next 4 years. It then returned to Aldenham where it was repainted, and then returned to service,and then transferred to Upton Park where it stayed until 1991, it was fitted with a new Iveco Engine.
It was refurbished in 1992, and then privatised to South London with the Cowie Group, and rebranded Arriva South London.
When the route masters were decommissioned in 2005 it was sold on to Ensign, who then sold it on to London and Bath Estates. It was converted into a hospitality bus, by South East Coachworks, until it was sold again to the Red Bus Bistro Company. It was once again converted by South East Coachworks into our new and Sophisticated Tearooms, and will now undertake afternoon tea tours and cocktail tours and wizarding tours in the wonderfully Cultural Cities of Edinburgh and Glasgow.
History of the Routemaster Bus
The Route master bus was developed during the years 1947–1956 by a team directed by A. M. Durrant and Colin Curtis, with vehicle styling by Douglas Scott. The design brief was to produce a vehicle that was lighter (hence more fuel efficient) and easier to operate. The resulting vehicle could seat 64 passengers despite being three-quarters of a ton lighter than the preceding RT, which seated only 56. The first task on delivery to service was to replace London’s trolleybuses.
The Routemaster was primarily intended for London use, being designed by London Transport and constructed at the AEC Works in Southall, Middlesex. In all 2,876 Routemasters were built.
It was an innovative design and used lightweight aluminium and techniques developed in aircraft production during World War II. As well as a novel weight-saving integral design, the Routemaster also introduced (for the first time on a bus) independent front suspension, power steering, a fully automatic gearbox and power-hydraulic braking. The majority of production examples were 27 feet 6 inches (8.4 metres) long to meet the then maximum length regulations. The regulations were later relaxed and 30 feet (9.1 metres) “long” types were produced. The Routemaster outlasted several of its replacement types in London, the unique features of the standard Routemaster were both praised and criticised. The open platform, while exposed to the elements, allowed boarding and alighting away from stops; the presence of a conductor allowed minimal boarding time and optimal security.
There were several variants of the Routemaster produced, the classes were designated as follows:
- RM – standard bus (27.5 feet (8.4 m))
- RML – (lengthened) bus (30 feet (9.1 m))
- RMC – coach (27.5 feet (8.4 m))
- RCL – (lengthened) coach (30 feet (9.1 m))
- RMF – front entrance bus (essentially a demonstrator to encourage sales outside London)
- RMA – front entrance bus (designated by LT when purchased from British Airways)
The RMC was a coach version, produced for the “Green Line” routes. RMCs had modified suspension and interiors to allow a longer range and more comfortable running, were fitted with an electrically operated door instead of an open platform and was faster than the standard RM.